Pick up your partner, significant other, or best mate and sample one of Central Otago’s fabulous trails this Valentine’s Day. Stop at a world-class vineyard or two along the way to create the perfect day. Why not make a weekend of it, and book a bed at one of our boutique offerings. The peace and quiet of Central Otago will be music to your ears. Only quieter.
One day rides
- Ride the Lake Dunstan Trail from Cromwell and enjoy one of Bannockburn's fine vineyards such as Carrick. Admire the picturesque views over a vino or two!
- Hop onto the Roxburgh Gorge Trail and wind up at the Courthouse Café or Industry Lane Café in Alexandra.
- Explore the Teviot Valley along the Clutha Gold Trail – pausing at Pinders Pond for a picnic, or at the historic Horseshoe Bend Bridge.
- Along the prestigious Otago Central Rail Trail visit the stunning town of Ophir and enjoy a top-notch meal and bed at Pitches Store or Blacks Hotel.
- Alternatively, if you would prefer to stick to two-feet, rise early and stroll along the Earnscleugh Tailings Track.
Spoil yourself with an extended stay in Central Otago
If you’re looking for something a little longer (or to book for a romantic get way down the line), here are a few suggestions:
- Romantic Getaway with Central Cycle Trail
Cycle side by side Central Otago’s spectacular landscapes before settling in for a romantic escapade in a boutique lodge. Spend 5 days soaking up the beautiful Central Otago views, cuisine and hospitality. This is true romantic bliss.
- The Otago Sojourn with Luxury Rail Trail Tours
This 7-day luxury tour features the Otago Central Rail Trail, a trip to Dunedin and a boat cruise along the Clutha River (plus fabulous accommodation and meals).
- Central Otago Wine & Trail Escape with Trail Journeys
This 3-day tour includes a trip along the Otago Central Rail Trail; a tour around St Bathans; accommodation; e-bikes and more.
Family-Friendly Bike Trails
Whatever the time of year, Central Otago can provide the perfect opportunity to get out and about with the family on your bikes. With a huge variety of trails available throughout the region it can be hard to know where to ride, so we’ve put together a few of our favourite, shorter and easier rides which would be most suitable for younger people.Read more about Family-Friendly Bike Trails
The festive season is in full swing and if you’re keen for to burn off those mince pies and mulled wine, we have just the answer (or 2!).Read more about Challenge Yourself
Cruisin the Clutha
Central Otago’s mighty Clutha River is one of New Zealand’s most mesmerising natural features. Its stunning scenery, gold-rush history and swift turquoise waters make it a must-explore on any journey through ‘Central’.Read more about Cruisin the Clutha
Adrenalin Driven @ Highlands
It's got speed, style and good old Kiwi ingenuity in bucket loads. Highlands exceptional experiences are not to be missed.Read more about Adrenalin Driven @ Highlands
Curling in Naseby - Ice Magic
Sweepers, sliders and brooms, houses and hog lines, sticks and stones... it all sounds, well, a little Harry Potter-esque. But it’s not the wizard’s sport of quidditch we’re talking here, rather the ancient Scottish sport of curling.Read more about Curling in Naseby - Ice Magic