Four Wheel Driving in Central Otago (4WD). Venture into Central Otago's heartland where you’ll find something new around every corner. Landscapes of flat-top mountains, wide valley floors, crystal clear lakes, fast flowing rivers, rocky outcrops and rolling tussock covered hills, all under Central Otago’s bigger-than-big, bluer than blue skies.
4WD Code of Conduct
Follow the code of conduct to protect the environment and for the long-term sustainability of off-road driving.
- Avoid sensitive areas. Alpine landscapes, swamps, waterways, sand dunes and river beds are easily damaged by vehicles.
- Abide by the laws and regulations covering all vehicles and drivers.
- Stay on roads. Avoid widening them.
- Keep the environment clean. Take all your rubbish with you.
- Respect wildlife, look but don’t disturb. Keep your distance.
- Find out if a permit is required for access. If your trip crosses private land obtain permission.
- Leave gates as you find them.
- Always thoroughly clean your vehicle before and after trips to minimise spreading weeds and diseases.
- Respect the right of others for quiet enjoyment. Avoid noisy driving. Give way to walkers, cyclists, horse riders and others.
- Be prepared for the unexpected. Drive at a speed which will allow you to stop if a hazard arises.
- If winching is necessary, use another vehicle. If you must use a tree. use webbing or padding to prevent damage to the tree.
- Cross waterways with care. Use designated crossings where possible.